Blockchain technologies and cryptocurrencies continue to awe and inspire me with ideas for the future. Below are introductory links to quickly pick up key aspects of Blockchain tech & cryptocurrencies.
I imagine it’d be useful for you to know about Blockchain tech, smart contracts, and how it helps individuals own their own data. Do a couple of hours of research, clicking on the links below that inspire you.
These links may inspire you to research more about the underlying ledger tech and supply chain innovations.
It’s worth putting aside a few hours to enjoy spotting opportunities relevant to you. I’ll be so interested to hear your point of view on it.
Blockchain technology – the introduction
If you asked me where to start to learn about this topic, I’d send you these links:
- MIT’s 2 min Blockchain explainer.
- This Blockchain documentary with world leaders’ interviews – 30 mins well spent.
- Satoshi’s original Bitcoin paper is definitely worth reading – even the Introduction on the first page as it explains the role of blockchain / cryptocurrency and going beyond third party trusted sources. Especially important to read if you are a consultant advising clients.
- What is Blockchain.
- How to explain blockchains and cryptocurrencies to your friends and family.
- Why Bitcoin matters (NYTimes).
- This Forbes podcast: “The blockchain is about to transform every trust-based interaction of our lives, from financial services to identity, from health care to our Internet of Things devices. In this podcast, host Laura Shin talks with industry pioneers across tech, financial services, health care, government and other sectors about how the blockchain and fintech will open up new opportunities for incumbents, startups and everyday people to interact more efficiently, directly and globally.”
- Andreas on the future of Bitcoin
“Bitcoin will be attacked through its mining, the network, legally, and every other possible way. If you don’t think Bitcoin is going to be attacked, you’ve misunderstood what this is about. You don’t go and poke a $20 trillion industry and go, “Hey, we’re going to disrupt you!” You can’t just wait for it to roll over.”
- Early, simple and clear to understand videos from top investors, leaders and venture capitalists (all who explain the tech and the macro view simply): Introduction to blockchain technology by Mike Hearn in 2012, Chamath Palihapitiya in 2014 and Marc Andreessen and Balaji Srinivasan in 2014.
Blockchain technology – going a bit further
- How blockchains could change the world by McKinsey & co.“The blockchain is …a platform for truth and it’s a platform for trust. The implications are staggering, not just for the financial-services industry but also right across virtually every aspect of society.”
- “A tipping point could be reached where people will realize ‘that data belongs to me.’” SirTim Berners-Lee
- Examples of Blockchain uses beyond money / currency.“What if you opened Spotify and paid the artist directly?”
“Lots of great things have happened, but overall the benefits of the digital age have been asymmetrical. For example, we have this great asset of data that’s been created by us, and yet we don’t get to keep it. It’s owned by a tiny handful”
- How Blockchains will transform markets from master-tweeter Naval.
- “Nick Szabo has compiled a list of links to guide an introductory study of the computer science behind Bitcoin”
— Nick Szabo (@NickSzabo4) July 30, 2017
- “bringing the internet closer to the benefits we experience in everyday life” (“building out the next version of the internet”)
- Open networks, privacy and data: As blockchains and other tech comes along to bring about greater individuals’ privacy, there’ll be more exposés on corporations selling data without customers’ full understanding. Quite possibly shared economy darlings such as Airbnb will be in the spotlight. This gives more insight (watch the first 47 seconds).
- Introduction to Cryptocurrencies by the master, Nick Szabo [Tim Ferriss podcast This is a great introduction. It’s co-presented with one of my favourite thinkers in the world – Naval Ravikant – who kindly simplifies complex topics as they arise.
- Want to understand Bitcoin, Ethereum and other coins? This YouTube channel has fast and clear introductory videos.
- “Why crypto tokens matter” on the A16z podcast.
- The role of cryptocurrencies presented at Ethereal Summit 2017. I highly recommend watching this full video. The first 4 minutes highlight where banking is headed, how online currencies could become the backbone to improve many systems in the world, and how they’re also not a ‘golden chalice’. At 10:30 there’s mention of how through the blockchain you can pay for your coffee at a cafe and also directly tip the coffee farmer a very small amount without fees on either side. There are incredible supply chain opportunities as the supporting tech comes to be and great opportunities in developing countries too.
- A beginner’s guide to Ethereum.
- Ethereum is the Forefront of Digital Currency.
- Current prices of cryptocurrencies and upcoming ICO’s / new tokens are listed here and here.
- If you’re thinking of investing in Ethereum and aren’t sure where to start, this could inform you. It could also be a bit too heavy on words such as “exchanges”. If so, read below this amazing view…”…the crypto sector is much more than Bitcoin, fintech, trading and crypto currencies — it’s about building a better, decentralized, (digital) world. By using the term “decentralization” I refer to a process of redistributing functions, people, powers or things away from a central authority. The problem with centralized systems is that they lack transparency, allow for single points of failure, censorship, abuse of power and inefficiencies.” Enjoy the map.
- Keep up to date with cryptocurrencies – especially good to read if you’re investing in BTC, ETH etc.
- A more advanced watch or listen on the wider context on the future of cryptocurrencies and finance is Brian Armstrong at Token Summit.
- How to Get a Job in Crypto (by AngelList).
Here’s a YouTube playlist to make things even easier. It includes links above and a few more. I plan to keep adding top videos to it.
- Simple overview – Inside Bitcoin
- Cryptocurrency News – Forbes Crypto Confidential
- Ethereum and cryptocurrency – Ethereum News
- Fred Wilson’s VC point of view (wider business and tech view that includes blockchain and cryptocurrencies)
- Wonderful to see a successful Aussie (Qld) entrepreneur in the Blockchain space.[fast innovation, ledgers, luxury goods]