Welcome to a previous issue of Online Highfliers. To get the latest issue delivered to your inbox sign up for the newsletter here.
Universal Basic Income, Home Automation & Human Intelligence 💱 🛀 😇
Welcome to the 17th edition of this email. Did you know you can read all past editions in our archive?
The subject this time round is Universal Basic Income and Home Automation.
Yesterday was a brilliant blue sky day so I went surfing and work happened late into the evening. #ChooseLife
Let’s get into today’s newsletter.
We’re in enthralling times with a call for a Universal Basic Income and a stronger pull in society for home / life automation.
Universal Basic Income
With automation becoming part of every day life and work, the ongoing conversation of human jobs being made redundant occurs more often. One idea gaining attention is a Universal Basic Income (UBI).
“Universal basic income (UBI) is a policy in which all citizens of a country regularly receive an unconditional sum of money, either from a government or some other public institution, in addition to any income received from other means.
Is it actually a solution to technological unemployment?
Can governments react quickly enough, given the pace of innovation and automation in tech?
…will we still have to go through a turbulent, violent period as we redistribute our labor in a world of robots and AI?”
This image and title caught my attention this morning and the enjoyable and short article explains why we’ll see an increasing pull for toasters, washing machines and other home devices to become smart.
A longer read is this one from Mark Zuckerburg of Facebook who spent 2016 automating his house.
- Keep this for your holiday reading. “When HI combines with AI, we will have the most significant advancement to our capabilities of thought, creativity and intelligence that we will have ever had in history.”
- Have a play: Virtual Reality, Yosemite and Obama. Great to see how 21st Century Fox is doing VR.
- If you missed Kevin Kelly’s “The Inevitable” book that described the potential impact of 12 incoming tech forces, here’s a 16 min intro via TED talks.
- Stephen Hawking’s encouragement for the elites and his view on Brexit, Trump, and tech. “We now have the technology to destroy the planet on which we live, but have not yet developed the ability to escape it.”
- “What I learned from 100 days of rejection” by Jia Jiang. Entertaining and insightful.
- If you’re a parent or fascinated by learning new things, check out “The Kid Should See This” – “gathers the best short videos that explain how the world works. Subjects includes nature, science, technology, art, politics,…2600 videos” Thanks to Kevin Kelly for the heads up.
- Learn about Mindfulness and Thriving via Arianna Huffington’s (of Huffington Post fame) Thrive Global initiative.
Great online presence
- I recently came across Kamal Ravikant’s About page. Good fun. What’s on your “About page”?
- I’m a fan of the “Who Gives a Crap” newsletters. The latest is a pearler.
- More examples here.
I wish you a sensational new year.
What do you have planned?
Great to have you onboard,
A fortnightly electronic letter from Sam Bell & Runway Digital. Explained here.
My goal is to help people have online presence, as well as save time and reduce career risks. Knowing about business and tech developments and planning well can help.
Click “Unsubscribe” if this is no longer relevant to you. See you again sometime 👋 😄