Welcome to a previous issue of Online Highfliers. To get the latest issue delivered to your inbox sign up for the newsletter here.
The subject this time round is YOU. (How fun!)
It’s about YOU.
What’s on your mind? What could I help you with? Shoot me a reply with:
~ a question
~ a query on a current challenge
~ ideas of topics you’d like to read in future newsletters
Amazingly a month after finishing Cal Newport’s “Deep Work” book the learnings, reminders and productivity tips have continued to (usefully) pop into my mind.
Turns out this book and Kevin Kelly’s are my favourites in the past year.
Did you enjoy them too?
Industries of the Future ~ Alec Ross
Another recent read was Alec Ross’s “Industries of the Future” which went deeper than his TED talk. The main outtake: get your unique life/career/work purpose very clear and start profiling and marketing yourself online.
Get to it!
In case of overwhelm (“more books to read!”)
Any of the books I recommend have quotes on the Good Reads website. If you’re wondering about reading something, type into Google:
“good reads quotes [name of book / author]”
…and then click through to the Good Reads quotes page where you’ll gain a quick overview of the book. These days this helps me decide whether to read a book.
Favourite reads & listens:
- Great to see the ethical aspects of CRISPR and DNA modification highlighted in a SXSW keynote, along with the science explained simply so that more people are aware.
- Check out digital advancements via #sxsw this week.
- If your LinkedIn profile has changed to the new style this succinct guide will be useful.
- Another great Naval Ravikant podcast. He’s the quintessential businessman of today’s times: (highly) digitally aware, mindful, philosophical and successful.
- Have you tried VR yet? Order a $15 simple Google cardboard headset to start.
- iWatch sleep tracking app (thanks rosshill) that tracks your sleep without you having to turn it on or off. Good stuff.
- Scroll to the bullet points.
Great online presence:
- Ohhhh Kai Davis the start of your unsubscribe page is wonderfully funny.
- The extended list is here and here.
I’ve heard Spring is in the air in London, the snowfalls have slowed in Japan, and we’re continuing an excellent Summer here in Melbourne. Wherever you are, have fun!
Thank you for inviting me into your inbox. Hit reply anytime.