Self-Driving Cars 👀 🚘 🎰 😊 #21
Deep Work, Self-Driving Cars, Automation & Great Online Presence
Welcome to the 21st edition of this email. Did you know you can read all past editions in our archive?
The subject this time round is Deep Work.
Ready? Let’s focus…
Hi from Torquay, overlooking the waves rolling in. I’m freshly inspired from listening to Cal Newport’s “Deep Work”. These words are interesting:
“In this new economy, three groups will have a particular advantage: those who can work well and creatively with intelligent machines, those who are the best at what they do, and those with access to capital.”
“To remain valuable in our economy, therefore, you must master the art of quickly learning complicated things. This task requires deep work.
If you don’t cultivate this ability, you’re likely to fall behind as technology advances.”
Cal’s book is fascinating with quickly actionable tips and this is a great list by Ryan Holiday on how he does deep work. Fascinating.
Things getting too heavy?
“Piaggio recently unveiled the company’s first product, a personal cargo robot named Gita. The bot can carry up to 40 pounds autonomously using maps, or by following a human operating the bot’s path… It’s fast enough to keep up with you on a bike (22MPH), and [has] the “human agility” needed to navigate sidewalks.” via Peter Diamandis
Gita and other helpful-to-humans technology excites me! You too?
Self-driving cars: coming sooner
Recently in conversations I’ve suggested we’ll use self-driving cars sooner than expected, for a couple of reasons:
- With so many other things to do, see, read, watch, catch up on (including sleep), car driving will start to be less of interest compared to other things we could do.
- As more images of newly designed car interiors (movie cinema, sleeping pod, working space / shared office) appear the idea of the car being a location to do other things than drive will grow on us… quickly.
Automation and employment
I’ve also recently heard the entrancing term the “post-work economy”. Universal Basic Income anyone? What do you think?
Favourite reads & listens:
- [Small businesses] Learn about chatbots (great examples)
- [iPhone ease] Spring clean your iPhone screen (thanks Taylor!)
- [Personal Security] Please read this and set up your simple security. “In the space of one hour, my entire digital life was destroyed.”
- [Personal, 10 year planning] Great tips
- [Education] Degrees Don’t Matter Anymore, Skills Do
- [WOW] California has overtaken France as the world’s 6th largest economy
- [Company Culture] Company culture decks in one place. Lots of amazing tips from great companies
Great online presence:
- David Hanrahan has fun comments throughout his LinkedIn, such as “Not too shabby.”
- Ludovico Einaudi playing with crashing icebergs for Greenpeace (thanks rosshill)
- The extended list is here.